Tuesday 19 April 2011

OMG – I ran the London Marathon

Miles this week                     The London Marathon 2011
Time                                       5:08:35
Place – overall                      25,134            (34,710)        
Place – women                     7,443              (12,257)
Place – category                  1,245              (1,908)
Money raised                        £1,300 and climbing

() Show finishers in this category
If you like stats, visit my results page.
[The official photos will be posted there soon.]

"I tell our runners to divide the race into thirds.
Run the first part with your head, the
middle part with your personality, and
the last part with your heart."

Mike Fanelli, running club coach
Marin County, CA
(Thank you, Kerry)


We did it: SG and I ran the London Marathon!

Superlatives just about capture how I’m feeling.

It has been incredible: the training with its highs and lows; the fundraising which you have all made so very easy; and, of course, the Big One itself. A truly wonderful journey – and one I can’t believe I’ve taken.

And I’m feeling surprisingly good. I can walk and talk, and I’m still beaming. In fact, I’m feeling more emotional than exhausted.

Here goes – forgive me if I blub whilst typing...

Race Report

Despite the M1 closure, we had an excellent run down on Saturday, and were parked up at our accommodation by 11.30am. This left plenty of time to register at the sprawling ExCel London, have a gentle afternoon in the capital, and meet the fabulous Heart Research UK team in the evening – before cramming a huge, carbed-up dinner of cannelloni and salad into my face.

Sleep was rather elusive on Saturday night, but following Denise’s (HRUK) advice, I snuggled down and relaxed with the idea that by just resting my limbs I was training very hard: love it.

Central London was fairly quiet on Sunday morning when we started our journey out to Greenwich. The sky was grey and the air was cool, but I was sweating and shaking like a crazy thing. Sharing nervous greetings with the handful of other runners at Moorgate Tube station was lovely – as was the cheery good luck from the smiley attendant on the barrier who let me travel gratis. I’ve never known London to be so jolly and chatty.

Once we climbed aboard the DLR at Bank, things started to busy up. Instead of its workaday sombre mood, the train was vibrant – buzzing with excited people all gearing up for the day. I’m sure it was fuller than capacity: you can really squeeze those string-bean running-types into a carriage.

When we left the train at Greenwich, the cloud started to lift and the sun came out, offering our first glimpse of the baking day ahead. It was also the point at which I didn’t have to worry about directions anymore. I fell in line and followed which was all I had to do for the rest of the day really.

I left CM safely with SG’s family at the park gates, received the first of many nourishing race hugs and went in search of SG.

Meeting her in the runners’ area was a huge relief. I was terrified I wouldn’t find her and would have to face the long miles alone.

After depositing our bags on the numbered trucks (fantastic bit of logistics), we did the needful. Whilst queuing, we chatted to Sarah, another marathon novice who was running solo. We stuck together for the Start, but lost her in the crowd once we hit Greenwich: I hope she had a fabulous day.  

Joining the throng in Starter Pen Eight was mind-blowing: so many people, so much excitement and anticipation, so overwhelming. I couldn’t believe I was there.

In fact, throughout the day, I found myself saying really daft things like, “Hey, look at us running the London Marathon...”

I blame the heat.

Which was stiflingly exhausting. SG – a marathon veteran – says she has never known it so hot or seen so many people walking and struggling – and so determined to battle on.

The day was made up of fantastic moments and victories. And although I’d loved to ramble on for hours, here’s a collection of snapshots from the day.

The noise when we swept into the centre of Greenwich from the park was thunderous. I was gobsmacked that so many people were lining the streets, willing us on. And it didn’t stop. I don’t think any point along the route lacked a roaring cacophony of cheering and clapping to carry us along.

I’ve not touched so many grubby, little hands since working as a primary school classroom assistant years ago. The squeals of excitement from the younger members of the crowd as we gently high-fived them in passing were so heart-warming and encouraging.

Some outstretched hands were offering water, juice and – the runners’ staple – jelly babies. I hadn’t anticipated such wonderful generosity. The crowd really was one giant support team. It was staggering.

Arriving at Tower Bridge – which has been something I’ve been excited about for weeks – really made me choke up. Then, as we curved east to head into Docklands, an oh-so-familiar baritone bull-frogged my name and there was my Dad ready for a big, sweaty hug. The crowd shifted a little and there was Mum.

Fantastic!

In all, I had five hug-stops en route which fuelled me up good and proper.

After the heat of the city’s streets, descending in to the cool canyons of Canary Wharf was delicious. Gazing from the depth of shadows up the sheer walls of glass into an eye-wateringly blue sky was dizzying.

Then, because running 26.2 miles just isn’t enough, there were the crazy costumes to wonder at. We spotted a positive zoo of animals – a camel, a giraffe, a horse, a pride of lions, rhinos, a tiger; all kinds of hardware – a spitfire and a washing machine; a strength of superheroes – Batman, Spiderman and Superman; the emergency services – the police (who gamely took cheers and boos), nurses, and firemen (with oxygen tanks); the forces with heavy backpacks; a bride and groom; and, of course, Lloyd Scott aka Brian the Snail who is still going now.

Now, I cry all over again. I’m so proud of us. We hit The Wall early on, but simply changed our costumes, melting into ghosts to run right through it.

Which made crossing the red line on the Mall hand-in-hand and grinning like loons a phenomenal moment – and a fitting finish to at least 1,000 shared miles.

Apologies, but whilst I’m teary and being a drama-queen, I’m going to come over all Gwyneth Paltrow and say my multitude of thanks:

...to my Mum, Dad and CM for being a top Support Team

...to all my friends, family and colleagues who are so encouraging and supportive

...to HRUK – for taking a chance on me and letting me be part of this amazing thing

...to everyone who made my fundraising total so enormous

...to you for ploughing through the blog

...to SG’s family for sparing her so we could train

And, of course, to SG for being the ultimate running buddy: with me every step of the way to London – and beyond, I hope.

Thank you to you all – till next time!

Please visit my fundraising page at

1 comment:

  1. My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!

    Hi Vis Jackets

    ReplyDelete